War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Former Russell County standout and Auburn signee Bryce Lane signs with Houston Astros

It didn't take long for one of Auburn's signees to go pro. Former Russell County outfielder Bryce Lane, who spent the last two years at Gulf Coast Community College, signed a minor league contract with the Houston Astros, according to the team website.

Lane was a 41st round pick Wednesday in the Major League draft, going 1,233rd overall.

Lane, who signed with Auburn in April, led GCCC in batting (.431), hits (84), runs (79), home runs (26), RBIs (90) and slugging percentage (.981). He also went 2-1 with two saves and a 1.04 ERA in 17 1/3 innings.

Auburn had 11 players and five signees drafted this week.

Just had a chance to talk to Bryce on the phone. Here's what he had to say:
(Why did you go pro?)
"I just wanted to play. I wanted to start my career off. Make my way to the big leagues. Start it now. And the money was right, right enough for me not to go to school and for me to start it. So we got it done. I signed the day I got drafted."

(Who'd you talk to during the signing process?)
"Matt Heath. He coached at Auburn last year, the hitting coach. And I was his first guy that he drafted. It was his first year in pro ball, being a pro scout, and I was the first guy that he drafted."

(You went in the 41st round. Higher or lower than you thought?)
"I actually thought I was going to go earlier. I was projected to go 10th through 20th round and they had a bunch of guys that signed for $1,000, a bunch of senior signs that were done with college and didn't have anything else to do, so they signed the cheaper guys. And then they got to the 41st round and they actually called me in the 20th round and told me they were going to draft me in the next four or five rounds. And then my name slipped because of some senior signs signed for cheaper money than I wanted. And they got to the 41st round and they needed a hitter to go to the New York-Penn League. So they asked if I was still signable and they kept their word with the money they were going to give me in the 20th round. So I actually signed way out of slot. I actually got 15th round money. The money, like I said, wasn't an issue anyways. I wanted to go play. I'm not going to let money stop my dream."

(Did having a good season at Gulf Coast make it easier to go pro?)
"I thought I was ready before the season started. I always have confidence in myself and I think I'm going to make it to the big leagues. I mean, I know I am, because I've got plenty of confidence in myself and I know I'm going to work hard and achieve it. of course, the type of season I had I think helps a lot. It put my name on the boards and put my name on the map and got it done."

(Did you talk to Auburn coach John Pawlowski?)
"He sent me a text message saying that he was happy for me. Then I called coach Foxhall back and he was happy for me that I got drafted. He was disappointed that I signed because he wanted me to go there, but they were happy for me for the most part."
(What's next for you?)
"Actually I leave tomorrow at 11:45. I fly to Orlando and I have mini-camp for four days and then I leave Wednesday night or Thursday morning and I'll be staying in Troy, N.Y., for the Tri-City ValleyCats. That's where I signed my contract to go. It could change, but the chances are very slim. I've done some research and stuff. They play every night at 7 o'clock, 5 o'clock on Sundays. They average 4,000 people a game. It's going to be a treat. Like 75 degrees for the most part, average every game. It's going to be a treat. It's going to be fun."

No comments: