The 6-foot-3, 215-pound Frazier hails from Shiloh Christian High in Sprindale, Ark., Gus Malzahn's old stomping grounds. It's the second straight year Auburn has plucked away Arkansas' top recruit (running back Mike Dyer held that spot in 2010).
ESPN ranks him as the No. 2 quarterback, Scout No. 4 and Rivals No. 5. The Gatorade Player of the Year and USA Today Offensive Player of the Year threw for 2,.975 yards and 42 touchdowns his senior season. The dual threat added 22 rushing touchdowns, leading Shiloh Christian to its third straight Class 4A state championship.
He played in a spread offense at Shiloh Christian similar to Auburn's, which might ease the transition. Scouts are impressed with his size, speed and throwing power, with their only reservation being the competition he faced in high school.
While junior Barrett Trotter figures to be the favorite come spring to replace Cam Newton as quarterback, Frazier will likely get a long, hard look next August with an eye on the future.
Follow the blog on Twitter and Facebook.
- Committed: May 29, 2010
- Recruited by: Gus Malzahn
- Also considered: Arkansas, Miami, Kansas State, Notre Dame, LSU
- Rivals: 89 overall, 5 position, 1 state
- Scout: 49 overall, 4 position
- ESPN: 47 overall, 2 position
- Notable: Frazier has his own website
- Quotable: "I’m just going to try to go in and not be the next Cam Newton just kind of do my thing. I know that Cam might be the best college player to ever play the game. To try to do what he did is impractical. I’m going to go in there and do my thing.” -- Frazier
Here's a scouting report by Scout's Scott Kennedy:
A big, athletic quarterback that has a big arm and is a good runner. On the move, Frazier shows good elusiveness and change of direction. He has the power to pull away from an arm tackle and the shake to make a defender miss. He has very good natural arm strength and can get good velocity on the ball without having to overthrow. Shows good touch on swing passes. More consistency in his footwork will make him even more accurate.