The Valley, Ala., prospect is a consensus top-five safety by the recruiting services. Rivals rates him as the No. 2 recruit in the state.
He picked Auburn over USC, which made a late push after Florence visited a few weeks ago.
"I love coach (Gene) Chizik and I think great things are going to happen at Auburn," he said.
The scouting services describe him as a prototypical strong safety, a tall, well-built player who isn't afraid to lay a hit on somebody.
He'll have to adjust to the defensive side of the ball after playing the majority of 2010 at quarterback, where he threw for 1,000 yards, ran for 1,000 and accounted for 22 touchdowns.
- Committed: Feb. 2, 2011
- Recruited by: Tommy Thigpen
- Also considered: USC, Alabama
- Rivals: 69 ovreall, 3 position, 2 state
- Scout: 5 position
- ESPN: 52 overall, 4 position
- Notable: A three-time all-state basketball selection
- Quotable: "I couldn't pick something I liked over something I loved." -- Florence, on picking Auburn over USC
Here's a scouting report by Scout's Chad Simmons:
Florence is a big-time hitter and that is what first jumps out about him as a player. He not only hits, but he hits with good form. He closes on the ball well, he shows good instincts in the secondary, and he makes plays on the ball. He can still work on his bursts out of his breaks when in coverage, his speed when changing direction, and adding more strength. He is a future strong safety.