A four-star recruit by Scout and three-star by Rivals, Niles could play either tackle or end at the college level. He had more than 20 tackles for a loss his senior season at Davidson High, which reached the 6A state semifinals before losing to eventual champion Daphne.
The scouting services like his motor, saying he makes a lot of his plays on second and third efforts. He has good bulk who needs to expand his pass rushing techniques.
Follow the blog on Twitter and Facebook.
- Committed: June 15, 2010
- Recruited by: Tracy Rocker, Curtis Luper
- Also considered: Florida State, Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss, Texas Tech
- Rivals: 31 position (strong-side DE), 13 state
- Scout: 265 overall, 27 position (DE)
- ESPN: 19 position (DE)
- Notable: Grew up an Auburn fan.
- Quotable: "Hopefully I can go up there and work hard, and win awards like Nick Fairley." -- Niles
Here's a scouting report by Scout's Scott Kennedy:
Niles is a high energy player that makes a lot of plays on 2nd and 3rd effort. He has the size to be a 3-4 end or even a 4-3 defensive tackle. He's thick through the lower body giving him good strength and center of gravity. At times plays a little high and needs to do a better job of disengaging from his blocks, but still makes an impact when he is blocked by keeping his head up and clogging the passing lanes.