Whitehead, a 6-foot, 183-pound cornerback from Greenwood, Miss., picked the Tigers over Mississippi State and Ole Miss. He was previously a Bulldogs commit.
Auburn was expected to push hard for Whitehead after Florida Marcus Roberson's change of mind earlier this week, when the Florida cornerback committed and de-committed within a 24-hour span.
Whitehead finished with 61 tackles and four interceptions his senior season at Amanda Elzy High, two of which he returned for touchdowns. He also ran for 805 yards and 6 touchdowns.
- Committed: Feb. 2, 2011
- Recruited by: Trooper Taylor
- Also considered: Mississippi State, Ole Miss
- Rivals: 24 position, 8 state
- Scout: 262 overall 24 position
- ESPN: 27 position
- Quotable: "They talked about the national championship and they are some winners. You have to like that. Everybody friendly here. It's family. It's a great atmosphere that I've grown to love." -- Whitehead
Here's a scouting report on Whitehead from Scout:
Jermaine was clocked in the high 4.4s on more than one occasion, so he has the foot speed to be a very good corner. He has very good size and a nice frame to add the mass he will need to play on the college level. Whitehead has very good ball skills and he hits another gear once the ball is in the air. He might get beat from time to time underneath, but he takes pride in the fact that he can cover up the longer routes.