Wright, who ESPN ranks as the No. 3 defensive tackle in the country and No. 26 overall recruit, made his intentions known by taking out a backward hat that said, "Nick Who?" a reference to departing tackle Nick Fairley.
The 6-foot-3, 275-pound Wright is ranked by Rivals as the 13th-ranked tackle and by Scout as the 11th-ranked tackle.
Wright visited Alabama, Clemson and Tennessee last month but saved his trip to Auburn for last, coming to the Plains last weekend.
Wright's Carver High teammate, running back Isaiah Crowell, chose Georgia.
- Committed: Feb. 2, 2011
- Recruited by: Tracy Rocker, Curtis Luper
- Also considered: Tennessee, Alabama, Clemson
- Rivals: 141 overall, 13 position, 13 state
- Scout: 110 overall, 11 position
- ESPN: 26 overall, 3 position
Here's a scouting report by Rivals:
- On the Hoof: Wright has a great powerbase and a barrel chest but his arms are shorter than desired for a defensive tackle. He is similar in build to Texas freshman Ashton Dorsey.
- Needs Improvement: He has to use his hands to shed blocks and not allow offensive linemen to attach themselves. Wright has added some bad body weight so trimming down will only make him more explosive.
- Most Impressive: The key to his game is quickness off the ball and he has a very high motor. He does a nice job of chasing balls outside the box and can catch plays from behind.
- Conclusion: If he comes to camp in shape he could see playing time early. Athletic defensive tackles are hard to come by and he is relentless in his pursuit of the ball. Durability at this position is always an issue so staying healthy will be the real key to success for this interior lineman.
Wright needs to play with better pad level and work on the use of his hands. If his hands are more active and he shows better punch, then he will be able to disengage better. He has the physical tools and athleticism to be an elite 2011 defensive tackle. He is quick enough to be a big defensive end in high school, but he is an interior guy on the next level. He still has a lot of room to improve with a lot of potential.