War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Chizik enjoys first win, sets sights on correcting mistakes

I wrote a follow-up for today's paper about Auburn's win against Louisiana Tech. Here's how it starts:
AUBURN, Ala. — With his first win as Auburn’s head coach in the books, Gene Chizik met with family and friends Saturday night to celebrate the Tigers’ 37-13 romp against Louisiana Tech.

“Believe it or not, I laugh and I joke with my kids. I really do,” Chizik quipped Sunday, aware of his reputation for being restrained around the media. “I have a really good time. My personality actually comes out. It’s really fun.”

It was easy to have fun after a debut that by every measure was a smashing success.

The Tigers rolled up 556 yards of total offense, controlled the line of scrimmage, ran the ball at will and got a solid defensive effort across the board, outscoring Louisiana Tech 24-3 in the second half of a coaching debut that couldn’t have gone much better.

“I think as a football team we really overcame some adverse situations, so I was really proud to see that,” said Chizik, who gave players Sunday off before the team begins full preparation for Mississippi State today. “But we’ve got a lot of work to do;we’ve got a lot of corrections to make. Typical first-game stuff in my opinion. All correctable. But we’ve got a long way to go to be able to compete in this league."

Read the rest here.

No comments: