War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thoughts from today

We've got a bunch of Sherlock Holmeses in the writers room trying to figure out what's going on with DeRon Furr right now. He wasn't at practice today and Tommy Tuberville's answer when asked his whereabouts was just plain odd:
"I don't know," adding that he hadn't seen him. Hadn't seen him? Those were an uncomfortable few seconds. It made all of us a bit suspicious.

I've been trying to make some calls and find something out, but nothing just yet. DE Raven Gray, a friend, said he thought Furr was sick. His dad told one of the Auburn web sites that he's studying for a test. The Scout site said a program source says they don't expect Furr back. Not sure what the correct answer is, but I do know that he barely practiced yesterday after getting his bell rung in a brawl among the DBs and he didn't show up for practice today. We'll see what tomorrow brings, I guess. Could be something, could be nothing.

EDIT: Here's what I know late Sunday: DeRon has finals tomorrow to wrap up some summer school classes. His dad said he was studying. My read on this situation is his status with the team is very much up in the air right now, but I'm not sure it's 100-percent decided yet. We'll see where it goes. I'm sure I'll find out more in the next day or two. I found out a little more about the brawl from Saturday, but I'm going to wait to hear more about that before I go posting here about it.

On the injury front, Antonio Coleman and Tez Doolittle worked on the side again today, both rehabbing hamstring injuries. I spoke with Doolittle for a minute today and will do a note on him tomorrow. He thinks he might be ready by the first game, which would be well ahead of what was originally expected.

T'Sharvan Bell and Justin Albert again worked on the exercise bikes and did other conditioning things on the side.

* Witnessed another brawl today -- this one between offensive lineman Ryan Pugh and linebacker Merrill Johnson. This one wasn't nearly as brutal as the one yesterday. It was over before it started.

Saw a couple of really nice plays today:
* Chris Slaughter made a beautiful leaping 35-yard touchdown grab over Marcus Jemison and Neiko Thorpe.
* Tray Blackmon dropped into coverage nicely one time and made a near interception.

I guess that's all for now. I'll update with anything I get on the Furr situation if something arises.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the brawl you witnessed - were the players veterans or newbies? No name or numbers needed.

Thanks, keep up the great work.

Sincerely

Big AU Lurker

Andy Bitter said...

i now know they were veterans. more on that tomorrow.