War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Day 2 Wrap: Alabama

Well, I had a lot of stuff to write for our print edition, including a Tim Tebow feature, a notes package and a scene-setting story for the front, so I didn't get to blog as much as I would have liked today.

To make up for that, I'll wrap up some of the comments from each team in this post.

We'll start with Alabama ...
  • Nick Saban, from what I gather, is not big on preseason predictions, so he wished we media types luck in selecting an order of finish for the teams in the conference, which I think was a tongue in cheek way of saying we don't know what we're talking about. "As you all will try to do after this media day, you will try to predict whats gonna happen in this season," he said. "I wish you well in that. I wish you good luck. Because, you know, it's very difficult to predict what a bunch of adolescents are going to do, and we have over a hundred of 'em on our team."
  • Saban thought last year's showcase game win against Clemson in the Georgia Dome to start last year was a major boost to his team's confidence, which grew from there. He also thinks it has a big impact on recruiting in a major area city like Atlanta. (Seems like Auburn might want to get in on one of these things.)
  • The Tide have another spotlight game to open this season, although I don't think Virginia Tech will be a pushover like Clemson, but Saban doesn't necessarily think that's a bad thing. " players are more intense about what they're doing because they know they're preparing for a huge challenge in the first game," he said.
  • Saban voted for Tim Tebow on his All-SEC preseason ballot. But he defended the right of whatever coach chose not to put Tebow on the list with this melodramatic rant. (Cue patriotic music in the background) "I also think everybody should have the right to vote for whoever they want, and I don't think they should be criticized for that," he said. "It's what a lot of people have fought for in this country for a long time. So I don't understand why anybody would even be interested. But I guess it's somebody trying to create news. I wouldn't point any fingers about that, but ..."
  • I wrote about this tomorrow, but there was a decent gathering of Tide fans in the Wynfrey Hotel lobby waiting for Saban to arrive. He didn't mind. "Well, you know, my daddy always says, you know, you only have a problem if no one's asking for your autograph. So, you know, when there's not a stir downstairs, I got problems."
  • Saban has a role as himself in the movie, "The Blind Side," about the recruitment of former Ole Miss left tackle Michael Oher. He donned LSU's colors for the role, since he was the Tigers' head coach back then. "I really enjoyed the movie," he said. "It's not the takes that get you. It's the angles. You know, I learned something. When I come in the door to do the recruiting spiel, there's seven of us in the picture. You have to do seven takes because there has to be a wide angle, then there has to be a close up on every person. When you watch a movie, you just kind of feel like they just kind of got it with one camera, you know, and it all works. When you start understanding that there's 90% of the movie is close up on somebody's face, and that didn't come from a wide angle camera.o it wasn't that the lines were bad, and the director was great. I wouldn't really say it that way. I would say it this way: He said, Say it however you wanted it. That made it easier. Sandra Bullock and Tim McGraw were fantastic people to work with. I had a very small part."
  • The way 'Bama finished last season -- with losses to Florida in the SEC title game and Utah in the Sugar Bowl -- didn't sit well with a lot of players. "Last year, we won 12 games, but we didn't finish how we wanted," linebacker Rolando McClain said. "We were disappointed, but this year will be different. Coach Saban is preaching to us, 'Finish, finish, finish' and that's what we're working on doing.

No comments: