War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

SEC tournament: Reactions, notes from Auburn's 3-1 win against South Carolina

Just wrapped up post-game interviews. Here are a few quotes and notes:

JOHN PAWLOWSKI, head coach
(In a strange turn, you won this game with pitching)
"So much credit has gone to the hitters, rightfully so. They've done a great job and time and time again have bailed us out of a lot of tough situations. it's just nice to see the pitchers that have been working so hard and to see the reward. You look at a game like today, if we didn't have that type of pitching performance, it certainly would have been a different game. Proud of those guys. They've stepped up a number of times and obviously this was a huge situation for them."

(How happy is the team to still be alive in the tournament)
"I think the most excited the guys were when we met in the hallway there and I told them that we play in the afternoon tomorrow so they don't have to have a 6 a.m. wakeup call so they were pretty excited about that. Two days in a row of playing at 9:30."

(How important was winning a tournament game?)
"I think it's really important. I think it's great for our players' mindset, too, knowing we can win in postseason, win in the tournament. After last night, obviously the guys were frustrated, rightfully so. They came back today and it was an absolute battle today. But I think it gives our team some confidence knowing we can play at a high level in the postseason."
AUSTIN HUBBARD, closer
(How much did you have left)
"I had one more inning every time, I felt like. I had a feeling that I was getting close to the end, but I knew they had faith in me to go out there, especially when we went out there and scored those two runs."

(On the defense)
"(Justin) Fradejas made a catch in the fourth or fifth inning that might be No. 1 on SportsCenter. Defense is a huge part of that too. (Ryan) Jenkins, I don't know how he's doing right now, catching 12 innings. Blocking 8,000 sliders in a row from me. I think he said he was going to get a cookie cake."
GRANT DAYTON, starting pitcher
(How about that pitcher's duel?)
"Yeah, that was a lot of fun. I was able to go out there and just pitch like I know I can and I was just able to use my fastball and everything went good. It was a lot of fun to be a part of that, and when I came out and watched Hub come in and just fill the strike zone and everything was going good. We were able to stay in the ballgame long enough to put some runs on the board and win."
TRENT MUMMEY, center fielder
(On his game-winning hit in the 12th)
"That inning, the pitcher was throwing a lot of balls and leaving a lot of his fastballs up and couldn't locate his slider. And we got bases loaded and he couldn't locate his slider against me and was leaving his fastball up, so I knew with 3-2 he had to leave me something to hit with the bases loaded. And he didn't leave his fastball up. I was looking to stay on top and shoot it up the middle."
Also of note ...
  • X-rays on Brian Fletcher's hand were negative. He got hit by a pitch in the first inning on his hand, a blow softened by a protective pad he wears.
  • Mummey had cramps in the final inning. He should be fine.
  • Hubbard had the longest relief outing of his career, going 4 2/3 innings.
  • Pawlowski said Auburn will likely start LHP Cole Nelson (6-3, 4.94 ERA) or RHP Slade Smith (3-0, 4.68) tomorrow at 4 ET. The Tigers play the loser of the Alabama-Ole Miss winner's bracket game.

No comments: