War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Houston Texans select RB Ben Tate in 2nd round

Running back Ben Tate was the first Auburn player selected in this year's NFL Draft, going to the Houston Texas in the second round Friday night.

Tate is the first Tigers running back to be selected since Kenny Irons went to the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round in 2007.

Tate ran for 1,362 yards as a senior and 3,321 yards in his Auburn career, putting him fifth on the school's all-time rushing list.

He was the 58th pick overall and the sixth running back to come off the draft board, following Clemson's C.J. Spiller (Buffalo), Fresno State's Ryan Mathews (San Diego), California's Jahvid Best (Detroit), Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster (Kansas City) and Stanford's Toby Gerhart (Minnesota).

Auburn has had at least one player selected in the second round or higher in each of the last seven years.

Cornerback Walt McFadden, defensive end/linebacker Antonio Coleman and defensive tackle Jake Ricks could still be selected in this year's draft. The second and third rounds conclude today, with the final four rounds happening Saturday.

UPDATE: Tate just talked to some reporters on the phone. Here's what he had to say:

(Talk)
"It was very emotional. When things don't go the way you expect them to go, then you kind of start getting nervous. And I was getting nervous out there at a certain point in the second round where a team I thought was going to draft me. And some movement started happening and I started getting nervous, especially when the Texans traded back. But then when I got that call from them, I was just excited and the emotions were just running."
(Relationship with Texans?)
"I did a little, but not too much. I really thought the Patriots were going to draft me with their pick, but the only time I had talked to the Texans was a the combine. Other than that I thought it was going to be more of a longshot for them."
(How many people at your uncle's house?)
"At least 50 people here. Then over 1,000 on Ustream. It was a great experience and I want to thank everyone for their support, all the Auburn fans that made it a great experience."
(Who did you think might take you?)
"I thought I had a chance with the Patriots, the Vikings, San Diego until they traded up, of course. Um, the Browns. It was quite a few of them."
(Good situation for you?)
"I don't know. All I know is that I'm going to go in and work hard and definitely fight for a spot and it's a great situation. It's a franchise that's on the rise and I hope I"m going to be part of taking them to the next level."

2 comments:

War Eagle AC-47 said...

I know you made an impression on Tennessee's Berry

Anonymous said...

I would say that Tate was the 5th RB taken since McCluster was taken as a WR