War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Chizik's name buzzing, Dooley withdraws

There's a lot of buzz out there right now about Iowa State's Gene Chizik being the new frontrunner. The Opelika-Auburn News is saying has jumped to the top of Auburn's list and could be hired as early as Monday.

On the heels of that is this release from Louisiana Tech about Derek Dooley that I just received via e-mail:
In light of the continued speculation, Louisiana Tech head coach Derek Dooley confirmed Saturday that he has removed his name as a potential candidate for the Auburn head coaching position.

"As I have said on many occasions, we are very happy in Ruston and are excited about the continued investments that our administration is committed to making into our athletic program," Dooley said.
Now, that doesn't mean much. I don't think Dooley was ever a serious candidate. But it's common practice for coaches to withdraw their names from consideration for jobs they were never going to get anyway, especially when somebody else is on the cusp of getting the job.

Think Skip Holtz at Syracuse a few days ago. Do you think it's coincidence that within 24 hours of him pulling his name out of consideration that the Orange hired somebody else?

I believe Michael Scott used this same tactic for the corporate job he wasn't going to get at Dunder-Mifflin.
Michael: Let me know about the job.
David Wallace: Actually, Michael, I think we're gonna take it in another direction.
Michael: Good, I'm glad we're on the same page. I have a lot of ideas for new directions.
David: No, we're not giving you the job.
Michael: You know what? That... is actually good... because, um, I don't think I could take... my girlfriend's job. That's not being a good boyfriend. So, I respectfully withdraw my name from consideration. Do you accept my withdrawal?
David: I do.
Michael: Good. Very good. I'm glad we are finally on the same page. Still have my job in Scranton, though.
David: Yes.
Michael: Good. That's all I ever wanted. These two. [points at Jim and Karen] Either one of them... excellent candidates.

No comments: