War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 12, 2008

Friday reset: Big names, big rumors

OK, this should be interesting. Two Alabama TV stations have conflicting reports about a couple of big names in the Auburn coaching search.

I wouldn't necessarily put too much stock into either of these reports.
  • The Montgomery NBC affiliate says Auburn may (emphasis theirs) be close (emphasis mine) to offering South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier the job.
  • The Mobile FOX affiliate says Auburn will likely name Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp as its head coach in a press conference today. (The site has since retracted the story following this statement by Muschamp released by the school: "I have not interviewed for any jobs. I'm not interested in any jobs. I'm happy here, my family loves Austin and I'm going to be at Texas."
That second one's a pretty bold report, considering Auburn hasn't made a peep about setting up a press conference today (and if school officials have already sealed the deal and are ready to present their coach, why wouldn't they want a media horde at that thing?).

Both are from anonymous sources, which we're finding out in coaching searches can be just about anybody professing to know a relative of a friend of a barber of the coach's wife. I think I've seen five or six reports claiming Auburn has made a hire, yet we're still chasing Jay Jacobs off airport tarmacs.

For what it's worth, Spurrier shot down questions about Auburn yesterday before a press conference for the Outback Bowl. Muschamp debunked rumors late last night in conversations with AuburnSports.com and AuburnUndercover.com.

So how will today's search unfold? Who knows? Maybe with another airport stakeout; probably not with an introductory press conference.

Then again, crazy things happen in coaching searches. We'll see how it all unfolds.

UPDATE: Muschamp made pretty emphatic denial to Tony Barnhardt of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today.
"I have not talked to Auburn about this job and I have no interest in the job," said Muschamp. "I really don’t know what else to say. I’m going to stay at Texas until they fire me."

1 comment:

Scott H. said...

I would be extremely shocked if either of those guys becomes Auburn's next coach. I believe Spurrier has said that South Carolina will be his last coaching job and Muschamp appears willing to wait out Mack Brown's retirement at texas.

But college coaches change their minds with the wind, so who knows.