War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, December 14, 2008

What Auburn's players are saying about Chizik

Newly hired Auburn coach Gene Chizik met for 20 minutes with Auburn's players tonight. We got to talk to a few of them afterward. Here are some of the highlights:

CB Walt McFadden
His reaction to the hire
"I'm kind of happy by seeing him come back. He's the one who got me here. He's the one who gave me a comfort of coming to Auburn, with me being from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I didn't know anything about Auburn. He told me a lot. Just being around Carlos Rogers when I was here on my recruiting visit, he just comforted me and told me all about coach Chizik and just gave me a lot of hype about it. "

On tonight's team meeting
"He just said he was a loyalty person. There's going to be change, but it's going to be for the great. He's not looking to rebuild. We're looking for that 13-0 season again. When he left off, he was 13-0. He's planning on being 13-0 next season."

On the last few weeks
"Just trying to find out who we are again. Before Tubs left us, we were all trying to find what it takes to be a better Auburn Tiger football player. And then soon as he left, we were trying to gain that knowledge, that comfort and he left us. Who are we? Then you know, we've been sticking around with Brother Chette, you know doing our bible studies and Coach Yox is helping us out. Now tonight, Coach Chizik coming right in and talking to us gives us a lot of comfort."

On the mood of the team
"First we were wondering, 'Who's this guy.' The people who wasn't recruited by him was like who's this guy. He came in and everybody just calmed down and it was a big relief that we finally got somebody we could trust."
TE Tommy Trott
On Sunday's team meeting
"He really didn't introduce himself off the bat. I wondered if everybody knew who he was but I'm sure off T.V. and the internet had got familiar with his face. He just came in and said how pumped he was and how jacked he was to be back at a place that he loved. The last time he was in this room he was 13-0. He walked out of that room 13-0 and he plans on getting us back there."

On what Chizik's plan for Auburn is next year
"He said a lot of those seniors out there, he kind of spoke to me, a lot of those seniors out there don't be worried. This isn't a rebuilding thing. I'm not going to start from the ground up. We're coming out next year and we're going to be a lot better football team."

On Chizik's style
"You can tell he's going to be out there motivating us. He sounds like he's going to be a little more hands-on. He's probably going to snatch you up at a practice. He's going to have things done his way, he said. We're going to get back to being physical. If you don't love football, get out, because you better love football to what we're about to do. In a weird way that's very inspiring."
CB Jerraud Powers
His reaction to the hire
"
I was just happy it was over. That was the most part. I'm glad they chose a guy like coach Chizik. I just think, from the players' standpoint, we're just happy it's all over. Now we can go back to no worries and just doing what we're doing. Lately, since the thing happened, it's been kind of crazy around here. We're just happy it's over. "
NOTE: Powers, who just finished his junior season, said he submitted his name to the NFL's advisory committee, a group of league scouts and officials who research a player and give an approximation of where he might go in the draft.

"It's still the same," Powers said about whether he's coming back. "I'm just going through the evaluation process and trying to get as much information as I can possible. I'm going to get to sit down with coach Chizik and get his opinion on things and just go from there. "

No comments: