War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, January 3, 2009

More on AC's decision to return to Auburn

Antonio Coleman announced this afternoon that he will come back to Auburn for his senior season. Here are the main points of what went down at his press conference at Williamson High School in Mobile.
  • After some fanfare at the beginning, Coleman announced he would return for another season with the Tigers, pulling his Auburn defensive hard hat out of his book bag and placing it on the table in front of him as a small group of friends and family cheered loudly in the background.
  • "With all due respect, I want to thank all my coaches, but my mind is pretty much made up right now and my decision is that I'm going to return to Auburn University and play my last year of college football," Coleman said.
  • Coleman said he initially was leaning toward going to the NFL following Tommy Tuberville's resignation. The two met in Tuberville office shortly after the ordeal, where Tuberville told him he would support Coleman's decision either way.
  • Slowly Coleman began to lean the other way, however. He met with new Auburn coach Gene Chizik after he was hired and later on New Year's Day to discuss coming back. "He instilled a lot of thought and a lot of pride into what he's going to do at Auburn University and I think he's going to do something special," Coleman said. "I want to be that guy (to) come back and help turn that program around and get it back to where it's supposed to be."
  • Interesting side note: Chizik recruited Coleman out of high school.
  • James Willis' return as a defensive coach gave Auburn a boost in retaining Coleman as well. "He's like a father figure to me," Coleman said. "Anything I go through, I call him and he has a way for me to get through what I'm going through."
  • Coleman spoke every day with defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks, who announced his intentions to enter the draft earlier this week. "I didn't really talk too much about what I was going to do," Coleman said. "I was leaning toward coming out, that's what I always tell him because that was what was in the top of my head, but I just sat down and talked about it and prayed about it and the best thing for me and my family is I would come back for another year of football. "
  • Coleman used the NFL's draft advisory committee, which told him he would be a second- to third-round draft pick. Chizik told Coleman that if he came back, he could be a first-round pick.
  • Coleman said he didn't doubt Auburn could turn things around for next year. "We’ve just got to get back to the old Auburn football, just staying on people, hard," he said. "They’re going to look at me as a leader and I’m going to try to lead the best I can, try to be one of the best leaders in the country. If you have a great leader, then everybody behind you will follow."
  • Terrance Coleman, Antonio's nephew, re-confirmed his commitment to Auburn shortly after today's press conference. A 6-foot-1, 244-pound defensive tackle at Williamson High, Terrance was on the fence about attending Auburn immediately after Tuberville resigned.
  • That makes four Williamson High players who will be on Auburn's roster next year. Antonio and Terrance Coleman, defensive tackle Nick Fairley, a junior college player who signed before Christmas, and wide receiver LaVoyd James. "It'll feel like a big, happy family with Williamson guys," Antonio said. "That's what we're trying to make it up there – a Williamson tradition"
  • Coleman said he's spoken with CB Jerraud Powers, who has to make a similar decision about his future in the upcoming days. "He just called to see where my minds at," Coleman said. "I hope he's coming back. I'm going to try to call and get him to come back."

No comments: