War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Recruits react to Auburn weekend visit

Had a chance to talk to a couple recruits who visited Auburn this weekend. Here what a few of them had to say:

John Sullen, 6-5, 338 OL from Auburn, committed this weekend
What was it like visiting a place you've lived near your whole life? "It was a great experience for me. It was a side of Auburn I hadn't seen yet. It was like a complete different world."

How excited are you about visiting? "I was very excited. My first SEC offer just happened to be my school."

You committed to Southern Miss last week. Do you dread telling them the news? "Yes sir, I do. Because I really loved it down there also. It's home and since my mother got sick, I really didn't want to go too far."

What position will you play in college? "Coach Malzahn said that as of now he sees me as a tackle, but that could change. They said I can come in and compete early. I was planning on competing anyway, so it's great, to have a chance to play early as a starter in the SEC. So you really can't beat it."
Anthony Gulley, 5-11, 185 ATH from Brantley, Ala., plans to commit to Auburn
So what are your plans? "I'm going to commit next week to Auburn. I've got to go visit Troy. I don't want to disappoint coach (Shayne) Wasden. He told me they might make me change my decision.""

What stood out at Auburn? "The field. The coaches, pretty much. All of their coaching staff is Christians and I was grown up in church and that's all I've known. It's a good thing."

Got a position in mind? "
They just said that coach (Gus) Malzahn has got a new offense. I'll go in motion, jet, run reverses and all that. They said that's what I'd be doing."

You mighttry to play baseball too? "I talked to coach (James) Willis about that and he said all you've got to do is talk to the baseball coach."
Demond Washington, 5-9, 185 ATH from Tallassee, Ala., JUCO transfer down to Ole Miss and Auburn
What position are they saying you'l play? "As of right now, they're still saying I can play any position. Offense, defense, I'm still in that mix. Running back, receiver, corner."

What's your recruiting status? "Still the same. I haven't decided yet. I'll know before the 3rd. ... I'll have a decision before then, but nobody will know before that day. I don't want this buried on my back. I hope it won't go long."

Is being close to home a draw? "Being close to home, that's not always good. You can go home and get in trouble. If I decided to come here, that won't be a factor. I'll be here on the weekends."

What kind of trouble can you get into in Tallassee? "It's a small city, but there's all kinds of trouble to get into. It's easy to get into; hard to get out of."
Tana Patrick, 6-3, 215 LB from Stevenson, Ala., interest from Alabama, Miami, USC, Tennessee
What did you do all weekend? "Met all the coaches, ate a whole bunch of food. I'm tired of eating food right now."

Who did you meet with? "I got to know (defensive coordinator Ted) Roof a lot. Talked about myself a little bit and he got to know me a little bit and I got to know him. So it was pretty good. All of them are great guys. Real family-oriented. I'm all about family. It helps down the line."

You've spoken with director of NFL relations and recruiting aid Phillip Lolley a lot. What's your relationship with him like
? "He coached my brother (Dedrick Hardick), so I've known him ever since I was young, so getting to know him a lot better. Plus it helps since he's already here and where I'm from."

When are you going to announce a decision? "It will be signing day for me."

No comments: