War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Second to last 'cruitin' weekend

For the second straight week, we've decided to pass on sleeping in Sunday morning to bring you some reactions from the second to last recruiting weekend before the Feb. 4 National Signing Day.

I'll be updating this throughout the day when I get more information on players.

The official number of visitors this weekend is nine, according to our good friends at AuburnSports.com. Memphis linebacker Greg King and Athens, Ga., linebacker DeDe Lattimore did not make the trip.

We're also hearing that four-star Sulphur Springs, Texas, quarterback Tyrik Rollison did not arrive until Saturday, and therefore his trip will not be over until tomorrow.

Three-star Atlanta recruit Jonathan Atchison, an Alabama commit, made a visit but wasn't talking. His uncle spoke for him while walking out of the complex, hardly stopping on his way through the parking lot. He didn't have much to say other than Atchison is still considering Auburn.

A few players already came and went without me getting a chance to talk to them. Those players include Leesville, La., wide receiver Travante Stallworth (an Auburn commit), Lithonia, Ga., linebacker Joel Kight, and Mobile, Ala., quarterback Robert Cooper.

Bastrop, La., wide receiver DeAngelo Benton, a late addition to the weekend roster, managed to elude the media following his visit. The 6-foot-3, 210-pound four-star recruit has twice committed to LSU but has had trouble making the grade.

Here are the folks who were nice enough to speak with us:

Izauea Lanier -- S, Gordo, Ala. (Gordo), 6-1, 185, 3-star (AUBURN COMMIT)
What position have they talked to you about playing?
"Safety."

How do you feel about that?
"It really don’t matter because I played it. Whatever they think I’m best at."

Did you visit make your commitment any stronger?
"Yeah, it made it stronger than what it was. But I always planned on coming here. It wasn’t like shocking when they offered, because I’ve been here since my ninth grade. So it ain’t that new to me."

Lanier appeared to be wearing a black-and-white Alabama hat, but he clarified it was a STATE of Alabama hat, not a school of Alabama hat.
Jamar Travis – DT, Brewton, Ala. (W.S. Neal), 6-1, 298, 4-star
Did you get an offer this weekend?
"Yes sir. I have been offered. At first I did not think I was going to get offered. I was sitting down talking to coach (Gene Chizik) and he just offered me. I was excited I've been waiting on an offer from Auburn. I'm not sure whether I'm going to commit or not yet. I'm committed to Southern Miss. I'm just going to see how it goes."

When are you going to make a decision?
"
Probably Monday."

Who was your host?
"Jared Cooper. Me and him played for two years together. I hung out with him a lot. That was a lot of fun. It's a lot better because you know he's going to tell you the straight out truth how it is. He just said he loves it. I know if he loves it, hey, we're from the same town and the same team. I know I would too."
Hunter Stout – OL, Tampa, Fla. (Wharton), 6-4, 266, 2-star
React to the trip
"I really like the coaches and all the facilities are great. Everything here is to win. Some winning’s going to go on here, definitely."

Has Auburn offered?
"
They said wait until the end of this week to get an offer, so right now I don’t have an offer to Auburn. They said they've got some other linemen they've been recruiting for a month now, and they just started recruiting me, so I guess they're going to wait for those other linemen to see their direction."

Anything bad about the Auburn trip?
"Naw, it's jus too late in teh game for them not to offer. I feel like I can't lose Louisville's offer. That's a great school and I feel comfortable there."

Stout said he hasn't made a decision yet, but Louisville remains at the top of his list.

No comments: