War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Powers declares for NFL Draft

Auburn's defense lost another one. Cornerback Jerraud Powers will forgo his senior season and make himself eligible for the NFL Draft, the school confirmed Tuesday.

Powers joins defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks in bypassing his senior season to join the NFL. Defensive end Antonio Coleman elected to return to Auburn next season.

Powers started 23 games in his career, finishing with 136 tackles and six interceptions.

“I want to thank the Auburn nation for their support during my career,” Powers said. “It was a very tough decision, but I did what God wanted me to do and what was best for my family and me. I’m thankful for my time at Auburn and will have nothing but fond memories.”

The cupboard isn't necessarily bare for the Tigers in at cornerback. Walt McFadden is coming back as a senior starter, and Aairon Savage, who was expected to be a starter last season, returns from a season-ending knee injury.

Auburn also has rising sophomores Neiko Thorpe and D'Antoine Hood in the mix. Both got some playing time last year, Thorpe as a nickel back and Hood when Powers and Thorpe battled injuries late in the season.

Rising sophomore Harry Adams and redshirt freshman T'Sharvan Bell could also be in the mix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.....Powers isn't big enough to be an NFL corner. He'll be sweating in the arena league, for $200 a game, I think.

.....Sorry for the vote, but I just couldn't resist the "ignoring the media" crack! Now, mind you, if Chizik ignores the media, AND loses more games that he wins, well... We'll change our tune!