War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lebo out as Auburn men's basketball coach

All the news came out yesterday. But here's my story in today's newspaper looking at Jeff Lebo's dismissal:

AUBURN, Ala. — Feeling strongly that the Auburn men’s basketball program needed to “move in a new direction,” athletics director Jay Jacobs fired sixth-year coach Jeff Lebo on Friday.

Jacobs informed Lebo of his decision during a midday meeting, less than 24 hours after the Tigers’ season ended with a loss to Florida in the first round of the Southeastern Conference tournament in Nashville, Tenn.

Auburn was 15-17 this season, the fourth time in Lebo’s six seasons it failed to go .500.

“Going into the meeting today I knew what I needed to do,” Jacobs said. “I felt strongly that I needed to make a change.”

The 43-year-old Lebo finished with a 96-93 record in six years, going 35-61 in SEC play. His teams made only one postseason appearance, the NIT in 2009.

“Our No. 1 goal is to win and I believe that all of our teams should be able to compete for championships,” Jacobs said. “I believe we have a great opportunity.”

Read the full thing here. And follow the blog on Twitter.

No comments: