War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Auburn baseball signs Phenix City's Bryce Lane

Bryce Lane, a Russell County High graduate from Phenix City, has signed a national letter of intent to play baseball at Auburn.

Lane, a 6-foot, 180-pound sophomore outfielder, has played at Gulf Coast Community College the last two years.

He was a first-team all-conference selection as a freshman after batting .352 with seven home runs and 47 RBIs. He also went 5-2 as a pitcher. This year, he's batting .444 with 21 home runs and 76 RBIs. He is 2-1 on the mound, with a 1.10 ERA in 16 1/3 innings.

“We are excited about the addition of Bryce Lane to our 2010 class," Auburn coach John Pawlowski said. "He had a tremendous high school career at nearby Russell County High School for coach Tony Rasmus and he has followed that up with a special career at Gulf Coast Community College while playing for coach Mike Kandler. He is a gifted hitter and a versatile defender and will bring a wealth of experience with him to Auburn next year."

Lane was an All-State selection at Russell Country, hitting .421 and leading the state with 78 hits during his senior season.

He and fellow Auburn signee Andrew Morris led Gulf Coast CC to the 2010 Panhandle Conference championship.

UPDATE: Just had a chance to catch up with Lane on the phone. Here's what he had to say:

(Why Auburn?)
"Well, it's close to home. That's the main thing. And ever since I was a little kid, I've been an Auburn fan and always dreamed of playing Auburn baseball and when they showed interest, I showed interest. So I just made that thing happen."
(When did you start talking to Auburn coaches?)
"Well, last year they saw me a few times as a freshman. And they liked some tendencies that I had and some potential that they saw. And this year I came out and had a fairly decent beginning to the season and once the season got rolling pretty good, they jumped on me and went pretty quick."
(What was your plan coming out of high school?)
"Well, Gulf Coast gave me the best scholarship that I could want. So I came here. JUCO, go ahead and get playing experience. Because most time when you to D-I you don't play the first two years, and I wanted to play, because I love playing, so I came here and I got that experience of going to college a few years and now it's my turn to go to a big D-I."
(Where have you progressed most?)
Mainly hitting. I've gotten knowledge from the whole game, from fielding, pitching, but mainly hitting. We have a new hitting coach here, Michael Murphree. He's a great guy. He knows the game real well and he came from Troy. So he's a local guy and we all like him down here. He's a great hitting coach.
(How about that home run power?)
"It's kind of a new thing. I'm getting new things in my swing that I'm finding I'm stronger at and getting weaker things stronger, and it's helping me a lot."
(What's your role going to be at Auburn)
"They said if I come in and do up to my ability that I'll come in as a starter in the outfield. I signed as a two-way guy, and they said if they'll have to use me, they'll use me on the mound. But mainly they want me to worry about hitting than outfield."

No comments: