War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, April 19, 2010

The ups and downs of Auburn's spring drills

Spring football is not quite done. There's still a polishing session today. But I took a look at the ups and downs of Auburn's spring drills in today's paper. Here's how the story starts:
AUBURN, Ala. — Auburn finished its A-Day scrimmage Saturday, and offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn dodged the starting quarterback question like he has all spring.

“We’ve compiled information for 14 practices now and we’ve got one more,” he said. “As soon as we get through it we’ll sit down and kind of see where we’re at and we’ll kind of go from there.”

It’s been a common refrain from the Auburn coaching staff all spring: ask us later.

Gene Chizik and his assistants have been hesitant to draw conclusions, knowing there are still 4 1/2 months before the season. If a player had a good scrimmage, they would be cautious with their praise, quick to point out that it was only one of 15 practices this spring.

I should also point out that I will be doing a live chat to wrap up spring football on Tuesday at 3 p.m. ET. I'll get a link up here as soon as we get one on our website. Hope to see you there.

3 comments:

ExKnightMike said...

Great summary. Thanks.

James said...

i get the feeling that some of the beat writers are getting a little antsy and bitter about the access Chiz is giving. IS this a huge difference from what you experienced at other schools? or were you so accustomed to Tuberville and the 98% access he gave to everyone about everything.

I'm just wondering...I mean some of the bitterness from your colleagues is pretty ridiculous. Some stuff I read on HABOTN this spring sounds like Gentry Estes trying to write stuff about Auburn.
Personally, it doesn't bother me. I mean Chiz is only doing the non-disclosure from the start and not letting you in on anything. Whereas, Tuberville had a PhD in 'coach-speak' and try to make you think he was giving you some insight. I've been a life-long fan, but I saw last year that Chiz wasn't gonna tip his hat to much of anything and not really answer any important questions. So thats just the way it is...but I can see how difficult it makes for someone like you who's livelihood depends on access to AU.

AUsome04 said...

Wow, James I couldn't have said it better myself. When I first started reading your comment I thought about the Advertiser's coverage and then I see you mentioned HABOTN. The guy bashes Auburn so much I wonder often if he writes an opinion article. The guy bashed Obomanu for making the All-decade team even though he's second on Auburn's career list in TDs while playing with three other good receivers his whole career (all of whom are in the league I may add).

Andy, didn't McNeil run with the ones at safety Saturday? Did you see Savage on the field any? I'm wondering how he's coming along.