War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

'Good Guy' Walt McFadden's college career coming to an end

I wrote a story for today's newspaper about cornerback Walt McFadden. Here's how it starts:

TAMPA, Fla. — A wide smile crept across Walt McFadden’s face when a few Auburn beat writers informed the cornerback that he was the first recipient of the “Good Guy” award, an honor meant to recognize a player who is consistently congenial with the media.

His response stopped just short of wishing for world peace.

“I want to thank the world,” he said, stammering a bit. “I want to thank everybody who’s been listening to and reading my comments. I just want to thank everybody.

“I feel like I’m at an awards show.”

It might have been the first time this season the senior struggled to find the right words. McFadden, who will play his final college game Friday in the Outback Bowl against Northwestern, fully embraces his role as a team leader.

Read the rest here. And follow the blog on Twitter.

No comments: