War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

One year later: Chizik has Tigers back on track

I wrote a story for today's newspaper looking back at Gene Chizik's first year at Auburn. Here's how it starts:

TAMPA, Fla. — It’s not far down the road from Raymond James Stadium, site of Friday’s Outback Bowl, that the formative years of Gene Chizik’s life took place.

He grew up in Clearwater, got his first coaching gig at Seminole High in St. Petersburg, went to college up the road at the University of Florida in Gainesville and even met his wife nearby.

Now, 23 years after he began his football coaching career, the first-year Auburn coach realizes his life has come full circle.

“As I’ve said before, I just feel really blessed,” Chizik said. “And I feel blessed to be the head football coach at Auburn. Obviously, I feel blessed to be back here playing in the Outback Bowl in a Jan. 1 bowl.

“It’s as good as it gets for me personally.”

Read the rest here. And click here for a timeline of Chizik's first year at Auburn.

And after that, be sure to follow the blog on Twitter.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

any word on if Mike Mcneil will play?

Unknown said...

Andy, I think you should try to find that guy at the airport and interview him. See if he wants to eat crow. And if he wants to apologized to Jacobs.

easyedwin said...

The airport guy's screaming has been played over and over in the BHM radio media. Early on, it created the perception that NO ONE was pleased with Chizik's hire. BHM is such a UAT town that I was not surprised. The back biting and smart remarks NEVER stop. As a TUF and season ticket holder, I was and am happy to have CGC as our coach.

AUsome04 said...

"...immediate negative reaction from fans"

That should read some fans. I'm like you easy, I was initially excited about the Chizik hire. The media is quick to say all the AU fans were upset over the hiring. I'd like to know when will the media stop blaming it all on the fans because all sportswriters seemed to have something bad to say about the Chizik hire. They don't seem to hold thmeselves accountable though. Just "the fans." Worst hire in SEC history..., yeah right.