War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Aairon Savage feels blessed to be back

We beat reporters just had a chance to sit down with safety Aairon Savage, who was recently granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA after missing the last two seasons with an ACL tear and an Achilles injury.

For someone who has been sidelined for two straight years, Savage was in remarkably good spirits. Here's a sampling of today's interview. I'll have a full story in tomorrow's paper:

(How exciting is it to be back?)
"It's a blessing. It's been a minute and just to get back out there and be out there with 10 other guys, we're all going for the same goal, it's all very exciting."
(How hard was it to lose two straight seasons?)
"Very frustrating. I don't know why everything happens, but everything happens for a reason. I've learned a lot about myself, a lot about the people that I've had around me. I had a very strong support system from (my girlfriend) Shannon, my mom, my family, the guys here, just everybody. Community, it's a very good support system."
(How did your hurt your Achilles'?)
"Just working out, just planting, doing a regular summer workout and it just felt like somebody kicked me."
(You were just changing directions?)
"Just changing directions. I remember (T'Sharvan Bell) was behind me and I thought he had kicked me, and I looked over and he wasn't there. And I looked down, I kind of knew what it was. We had just talked about it a week or so before in class, so I knew what it was."
(Did you ever think football was over for you?)
"I just took it one day at a time. Try not to look too far ahead. I had a lot of long nights, a lot of long nights. I tried not to think it was over. It's kind of hard to let it go. Just one day at a time, one night at a time. And here we are now."
(Why come back?)
"Oh man. How can you let it go? I've been doing it since I was 5. It's just something in me, man. When you're out there, you've got 10 other guys with you. You're going to war. You've got 10 other guys ready to go to war with you, why not go?"
(You're a lot older than a lot of players on this team)
"That's the beauty about it. It's kind of like music. It's something that can bring anybody together and it's something that everybody enjoys. It's just a love and a passion that won't go away."
(Do you feel snake-bitten?)
"No, I really feel blessed. With my support system, I found out a lot about myself. Everything happens for a reason. I had meetings with Chette (Williams), meetings with people at home. You don’t question God."
(Any chance you'll coach in the future?)
"It’s just the love of football … just wherever it goes. Whatever happens after this it will take care of itself."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aairon, your positive attitude is very inspiring. I'm expecting great results for you and the team next season from your hard work and perseverance. You are already a winner! War Eagle

Anonymous said...

Aairon, you are such a role model. Not because you overcame your injury. It is the way you handle yourself. You have a very good head on your shoulders. How proud I am that you are an Auburn man.You are already a success. It is only the beginning for you.War Eagle