War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Live blogging Gene Chizik's press conference

Gene Chizik has come and gone. Here's what he said:
  • "This is going to be one of those games as a college athlete that you love to play in."
  • Auburn has not had a bye yet this year. "That's something that we're aware of. Like I told our team, the next guy has to step up and deliver."
  • On Ikeem Means, who was a high school receiver and is now a safety. "We have a lot of confidence that he'll be able to do what we ask him to do in the defense."
  • On LSU: "They're at the top of every defensive statistical category you have." Said it starts with defensive line. Called Patrick Peterson one of best cornerbacks, if not the best, in the country.
  • With a big game coming up, is it hard to sleep? "I don't sleep anyways," Chizik quipped. "I think you cot
  • On if the players are aware of the big-game hype: "All they have to do is go home and pull it up on the Internet."
  • "Defensively, I keep using the word resilient. Here's what I like about our defense: they keep fighting." Said team hasn't played well all the time but someone steps up to make a play. "We tell them they need to be at their best when their best is needed."
  • "It's going to come down to who makes the least amount of mistakes and penalties." That quote applies to every week, I think.
  • On Peterson as a punt returner: "He's in a league of his own back there. He's one of those guys who doesn't come along often."
  • Said Cam Newton isn't any different now that the Heisman hype is building. "On Friday night you'll see him eating with the offensive linemen, which is a pretty good move on his part."
  • Auburn has yet to accomplish a game-by-game goal of running 80 plays in a game. "Would we like to run 80-plus plays? Absolutely. But I think it depends on how the games unfold."
  • The Tigers were 7-0 in 2004 too. Didn't win many close games that year, though, as opposed to this year's group. "I'd rather be the one that's dominant," Chizik joked. "Two different teams and two different chemistries. It's a different mixture of guys."
  • Thinks team chemistry has improved week-by-week. "I think that might be one of the most important pieces of the puzzle when you're on a journey and trying to win a championship."
  • Said Newton is very unselfish. Tries to get team going on the sideline if things aren't going well. "He's doing exactly we feel like our quarterback needs to do."
  • On injured safety Aairon Savage: "We're going to take the rehab and run with it and see what happens." Would love to see him return. Savage's spirits are good, despite being disappointed. "For the place he's in, he's as good as he can be right now."
  • More chemistry talk: "The teams that I've been around that have been really good, they've go it."
Bonus Cam Newton at the podium:
  • On LSU's defense: "They're a talented bunch, no doubt about that. It's a defense filled with guys capable of making the next level."
  • Tired of Heisman talk? "I wouldn't say that. It's a week-to-week thing. As soon as I slip up, it's not going to be there anymore."
  • On this week's big game: "We can't buy into the hype."
  • On eating with the o-line on Friday nights: "That's our ritual. We eat together at the hotel and catch up on a lot of things. It's the little things that count."
  • More team chemistry talk: "The biggest thing is just everybody taking ownership and being accountable on their particular roles on the team."
  • On having fun on the field: "A wise man once told me, if you're not having fun doing it, why do it at all?" That wise man: Blinn CC coach Brad Franchione.
  • On one of his touchdown celebrations: "That's just me having fun, staying in my Never-Neverland state of mind."
  • "We're doing good things, but in order for us to continue to do good things, we've got to go to the next step."
  • "The main reason why I came here is because I wouldn't be able to win the games by myself. I have help."
And that's a wrap.

5 comments:

WDEwg said...

AB,
This can wait til after you are done with the live bloggin', but quick question. I remember reading late in fall camp that one of the freshmen was talking about how he knew that the coaches knew that he could make plays, and handle it at this level. I want to say it was Demetruce McNeal. Was that right? I went back through the August blog roll and couldn't find it.

I'd be interested as the week goes on if you can find anything out about which guys will get called up to help out in the depleted secondary (Mincy?, Chris Davis, Ikeem Means, Anthony Morgan, D. McNeal?).

Thanks!

Andy Bitter said...

It was probably Demetruce. He doens't lack confidence. But he does lack reps on the regular defense.

Unless something else happens to a person in the secondary, I'd imagine it will be Etheridge, McNeil and Means as the rotation right now, with Drew Cole possibly getting in. The freshmen haven't had enough work back there yet.

At corner, probably Morgan and Davis. I don't know if anyone else is ready.

Don said...

Andy: I'm sure you'll ask this in your own way, but here goes:
How exactly do you start teaching guys how to be better in the secondary at Week 8? OR, are we really just talking about minimizing the pending damage?

brian said...

we believe,auburn.we believe

AUsome04 said...

Well Don, if I was Lolley I'd say abandon that stuff I taught you before about not looking back for the ball. I'd say listen for the sidelines to yell "Turn around!" when the ball's right there (like I know every AU fan shouts at the game and at their TV). Soo many plays all they have to do is look for the ball and they're in better position for the pass than the WR.

Also, let's be honest we really are not very deep or talented at corner. The only true corners on the team right now are Thorpe & Mincy (doghouse) even though TBell has played really well. What should help us is playing a traditional offense this Sat, but ya'll know the Hat is licking his chops offensively. WDE