Smith, as reported before, was arrested at 1:42 a.m. outside of the Lexington Hotel on South College Street. He posted $300 bond and was released shortly after arriving at the Lee County Detention Center.
Auburn head coach Gene Chizik will meet with reporters after practice today. We'll have more then.
A few other early observations ...
- Safety Mike McNeil was a new addition to the group of players riding exercise bikes during practice, and for once that's a good thing. McNeil, who broke his leg last April, has not done much of anything during Auburn's practices this August.
- Other notable non-participants include OL Byron Isom, WR Terrell Zachery, DB D'Antoine Hood and DL Zac Clayton.
- There were plenty of fumbles during stretching drills today. Coaches took great delight in knocking the ball out at least four times. Today's victims? QB Clint Moseley, RB Ben Tate and QB Tyrik Rollison, twice.
- Auburn did some different special teams work at the start of practice. The Tigers worked on rushing a field goal unit onto the field. Jay Boulware yelled out the situation as such: time is running down, there are no timeouts left, it's fourth down so you can't spike the ball. He yelled out 8.94 seconds as a time it took the line to rush onto the field, set themselves and get a snap off. Apparently it wasn't good enough. "Got to be faster than that," Boulware said.
- The Tigers also ran a fake field goal where the holder flipped the ball over his head to a running Wes Byrum, ala LSU a couple years ago.