War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Smith's status with the team unclear

Head coach Gene Chizik met with assembled reporters today to speak about the Eric Smith situation. He did no provide much information or clarity in an exchange that got testy at times.
(Opening statement)
I want to start out and I want to address a situation that probably most of you are aware of with one of our players, Eric Smith. It was an incident that I've spent a lot of the day fact-finding and doing a lot of research on the incident, and I'm not going to go into any details or specifics on the matter. In my opinion, it's a family matter between Eric, myself and our football team. But I can assure you that is has been addressed. I've met with the young man, I've met with our football team. We have certain expectations of an Auburn man and quite frankly he didn't live up to that. So we've addressed it and if you see him in an Auburn uniform again I can guarantee you that he's paid a price to be an Auburn man and he'll be a lot better one at that point than he is now.

So I don't want to belabor the point and I don't want to again get into specifics or details of the situation. But again, i can assure you, we've addressed it.

(Was he out there today?)
Uh, no he was not.

(Will he be back out at practice?)
Again, we're not going to go into details on any of that.

(What do you tell the team?)
Again, I'm not going into any of the details. Again, that's a family matter.

(Will there be any reprimand?)
Again, I'm not going into the details of any of the specifics at all in the matter.

(Were any other players arrested?)
I'm not going into any of the specifics or details of the matter. If y'all want to talk about football, that'd be a great idea.

(After several football-related questions, the discussion moved back to Smith at the end)

(Do you have a curfew for your players?)
We have a policy in place. The details of that policy right now I'm not going to get into.

(Just to clarify, is Eric Smith still a member of the team?)
I'm not going into any more details.

No comments: