War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Auburn intrigued by freshman Ladarious Phillips

Auburn practices in pads for the first time tonight. We'll have a full practice update later. In the meantime, here's a story for today's newspaper that I wrote about 285-pound freshman running back Ladarious Phillips:
AUBURN, Ala. — He’s 285 pounds but can stand flat-footed and do a backflip.

He looks earthbound but has enough hops to dunk a basketball.

He’s got the size of a lineman but has been clocked at 4.8 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

It’s safe to say nobody on Auburn’s staff has coached a running back quite like Ladarious Phillips.

“Uhh, no,” offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said. “Not even close.”

Phillips, a 6-foot, 285-pound freshman, has been turning heads since Auburn began practice last week, a tantalizing blend of size and speed who has the Tigers’ coaching staff eager to figure out ways to use him on the field.
Read the rest here. Also, follow the blog on Twitter and be a fan on Facebook.

8 comments:

Tar Heel Tiger said...

Heavy substance, but light on the feet. I hope he surprises everyone and becomes a significant part of AU's offense.

AB - do you know if it's possible to post from an iPhone? I couldn't see the "word verificiation" image on my iPhone.

Andy Bitter said...

I've done something from my iPhone before but it took a long time to do so.

One reader asked about getting a mobile plug-in for the blog. I haven't had a chance to really look into that yet, but I will.

tptoomers said...

In my opinion this is the kind of back you need in a one back set. It would be great if he could catch too, although not required as we should have 4 good/great recievers and a good tightend.

The Edge said...

A lot of times when coaches say a player needs to gain or lose weight, it means a redshirt season. What do you think the odds are that Phillips plays a decent-sized role this year?

Andy Bitter said...

I think he could play this year, but I'm not sure how much. Auburn could definitely use a goal-line back with this much power. Beyond that, I'm not sure what they have in mind for him.

MikeP said...

I think after a redshirt year Phillips will help at D-Tackle.

A goal line runner needs quickness along with power. Dyer has both.

I saw Phillips play for Handly HS. The Auburn coaches may mess around a little early this year, but I believe Phillips's best chance at a future in college football is at DT or maybe even O-line. An SEC running back he ain't.

Anonymous said...

In case you've forgotten....two words: Ron Dayne.

Andy Bitter said...

As a Wisconsin alum, I have no doubt forgotten Ron Dayne. In fact, I covered him when I was in college. But even Dayne was 250 in the pros, maybe maxing out at 265 or so in college.

And while he's remembered real power guy, he was actually more nimble than people gave him credit for. He had some moves to get past lineman before trucking a 180-pound defensive back.

I think that's part of the reason he didn't succeed in the NFL. He was miscast as a goal line-type back when really, he was more of everydown guy.