War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Barkley to enter college hoops hall of fame

Former Auburn great Charles Barkley will be inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame on Sunday at the Spring Center in Kansas City, Mo.

"Auburn gave me an opportunity to be successful," Barkley said in a release. "I will appreciate that always. I think basketball has given me every single thing in my life. I have never had a real job, and hopefully I will never have to get one."

Barkley joins Kansas' Danny Manning, coaches Nolan Richardson and Jim Phelan, broadcasters Dick Vitale and Billy Packer and former player and executive Arnie Ferrin in this year's class.

A Leeds, Ala., native, Barkley was a three-time all-SEC pick and the 1984 SEC tournament MVP. He was a second-team All-American as a junior and was the AP and UPI SEC player of the year in the 1983-84 season. He led the conference in rebounding three straight years and still holds Auburn's career field goal percentage record (.626). His number 34 is retired.

No comments: