War Eagle Extra has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 4 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.wareagleextra.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cecil Newton will not attend Heisman ceremony

Cam Newton's father, Cecil, issued a statement through his attorney Thursday that he will not be attending the Heisman Trophy ceremony in New York this weekend, because he doesn't want to be a distraction.

Here's the full statement:
The events to take place in New York at the Heisman Trophy ceremony this weekend serve as a crowning moment for the athletes and their families alike.

For all of my fifty years of life, coupled with 25 years of marriage, I have made an exhausting attempt to be a good husband, father and generally a good person of integrity. The past 60 days have caused all that my family worked to accomplish to come into question.

So that my son Cam Newton can receive all the honors and congratulations that he has worked so hard to accomplish without distraction, I have decided not to be in attendance at the Heisman ceremony; as it will perhaps rob Cam and the event of a sacred moment.

With deepest respect,

Cecil Newton

1 comment:

Simmons B. Buntin said...

That's the right choice, it seems to me -- but it just strikes me as sad, the whole thing, really.